Punto informatico Network
Login Esegui login | Non sei registrato? Iscriviti ora (è gratuito!)
Username: Password:
  • Annuncio Pubblicitario

his five years, he has missed 31 of 80 starts. "I feel te

Suggerimenti, commenti, segnalazione errori, critiche, lodi e quant'altro riguardi strettamente MegaLab.it e i suoi contenuti.

his five years, he has missed 31 of 80 starts. "I feel te

Messaggioda blueberryjerry » gio feb 09, 2017 6:53 am

Just a week or so ago was the 10th anniversary of the final game the Expos played in Montreal. Dele Alli Hotspur Jersey . There are many reasons the team wound up leaving town for Washington, starting with the strike/lockout of 1994 when the Expos had the best record in the Majors only to see the season shut down in mid-August and the World Series cancelled. You can throw in lack of post-season appearances (one) and a relatively fan unfriendly stadium in the wrong part of town and an ownership at the end that wasnt committed or couldnt afford to keep a very good team together. But I discovered something over the weekend that might have profoundly changed the history, and ultimately the future, of the Expos franchise: the 1971 draft. In 1971, the Chicago White Sox lead off the draft by selecting catcher Danny Goodwin, who never really panned out at the Big League level. The Expos, picking fourth overall, chose a short stop out of Tennessee by the name of Condredge Holloway. Condredge was not only an outstanding baseball player, a sport he actually preferred, but also an excellent quarterback. His parents were committed to seeing him get an education and his mother refused to sign his contract with the Expos. Condredge went on to play baseball and football at the University of Tennessee, where he excelled at both sports. He was actually the first African American to play quarterback in the Southeast Conference. Holloway ultimately chose football for his pro career and after being drafted by New England as a defencive back, opted for the CFL and landed in Ottawa. Later on, he was named Most Outstanding Player in the CFL with the Argos in 1982 and along with Joe Barnes, helped the Argos to a drought-ending Grey Cup victory in that 82 season. In 1999, he was named to the CFL Hall of Fame. On more than one occasion, Holloway spoke of what might have happened if he had chosen baseball and favourably compared himself to Brewers Hall of Fame shortstop, Robin Yount. The Expos would never know, but to compound their problems with that first round in 1971, fire-balling lefty Frank Tanana went 13th overall to the Angels and left field slugger and future Hall of Famer Jim Rice went 15th to the Boston Red Sox. So, Montreal effectively struck out in the first round. But that wasnt the end of it. In the second round of the 1971 draft, the Expos chose left hand starting pitcher Dan Warthen. His career flamed out pretty quickly. Warthen went 12-21 with a 4.31 ERA and his days in the Majors were over at 25, though he has gone on to be a successful pitching coach and his currently with the New York Mets, who may have the best flock of young arms in the business. But back to the matter at hand. Kansas City had the number five pick in that second round in 71 and chose a young shortstop who would later become a Hall of Fame 3B in George Brett, one of the greatest pure hitters the game has ever seen. Right after that selection, the Phillies chose another shortstop, who like Brett would become a Hall of Fame third baseman and Expos Killer Mike Schmidt, who had tremendous power and played gold glove defence at the hot corner. So lets recap. The Expos ended up with little or nothing in Holloway and Warthen, and could have had two of the following four; Frank Tanana, Jim Rice, George Brett or Mike Schmidt. Three of those four turned into Hall of Famers. Schmidt won a World Series over Brett and the Royals in 1980 and Brett and company beat St. Louis in the 1985 Fall Classic. You cant tell me with Rice and Brett or Rice and Schmidt, the Expos wouldnt have won at least one World Series and that could have changed the course of history for Canadas first Major League team. When you look at the current Kansas City Royals who are just two victories away from going to their second World Series, you can pinpoint a three year span of drafting as being instrumental to their success. In 2005, they took 3B Alex Gordon, now their left fielder number two overall. In 2007, 3B Mike Moustakas went number two and in 2008 1B Eric Hosmer went number three overall. Rising prospect Christian Colon went number four in Round 1 in 2010 and lefty reliever Brandon Finnegan, whos in their pen right now, was taken at number 14 this year. The Philadelphia Inquirer made an interesting point the other day. A Major League all-star game hasnt been played in a multipurpose stadium since it was held at the old Veterans Stadium in 1996. So you can basically count out Rogers Centre at least until the Argos are gone and natural grass is finally installed. This season, former Blue Jays utility outfielder Rajai Davis stole 35 bases for the Tigers. Thats more than they stole as an entire team in 2013. Tottenham Hotspur Jersey . -- Andy Granatelli, the former CEO of STP motor oil company who made a mark on motorsports as a car owner, innovator and entrepreneur, has died. Eric Dier Hotspur Shirts . - Dolphins safety Louis Delmas has been carted off the field with a right knee injury against the Ravens. http://www.hotspurfcstore.com/c-19-nacer-chadli-tottenham-hotspur-fc-jersey.aspx . And though his comeback night didnt quite go to script, Bryant couldnt help reflecting on the work necessary to get back on that court -- and all the months of steady labour ahead to reclaim his game. Bryant had nine points and eight rebounds in his season debut, but Amir Johnson scored a career-high 32 points in the trade-depleted Toronto Raptors 106-94 victory over Los Angeles on Sunday night.ST. LOUIS -- Shaun Hill has been here before. A career backup quarterback, Hill is certain he will be able to successfully run the St. Louis Rams offence after Sam Bradford suffered a season-ending knee injury during the weekend. "This is not anything new, its not anything different," Hill said. "I keep the same mindset Ive always had." Hill has been forced into an extended relief role for the second time in his 13-year career. He replaced Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford for 10 games in 2010 when Stafford went down with a shoulder injury. "Ive always gone into every week as a backup as if I was going to play," Hill said. "Thats the only way I know how to do it." Hill is 13-13 as a starter including a 3-7 mark in relief of Stafford. St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher has the utmost confidence in Hill, who Fisher said looked good handling the offence in practice on Monday. "Hes ready to go, hes excited about this opportunity," Fisher said. "Hes a competitor and he knows what hes doing. He will make every opportunity count." Hills teammates also feel confident in their new field boss. "Hes a smart quarterback, he knows the system," wide receiver Tavon Austin said. "Hes been in the league a while. Theres nothing he cant handle." The 34-year-old Hill has hit on 591 passes in 954 attempts for 6,381 yards with 41 touchdowns and 23 interceptions during stops in Minnesota, San Francisco, Detroit and St. Louis. Hill admits he is a little rusty. He attemptted just 36 passes as a backup in Detroit the last three seasons, including just two snaps last year -- taking a knee twice in a season-ending 40-10 win over Green Bay. Kevin Wimmer Hotspur Jersey. But Hill is ready to embrace his new role. He was signed to a one-year deal by the Rams in March with this scenario in mind. "Im cranked up and ready to go," he said. When the Pittsburgh, Kansas, native takes the field for the season opener Sept. 7 against Minnesota, it will be his first start in 1,342 days. His last start came in the final week of the 2010 season. Bradford tore a ligament in his left knee in the first quarter Saturday and will be out the entire campaign. It was the same injury that sidelined him the last nine games of the 2013 campaign. The first overall pick in the 2010 draft, Bradford has been plagued by injuries throughout much of his career. Over his five years, he has missed 31 of 80 starts. "I feel terrible for Sam," Hill said. "I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. He was going to light it up. But the nature of the business is next guy up -- and thats me." The Rams have a history of overcoming quarterback injuries. In 1999, Trent Green was lost for the season during the third exhibition game. Kurt Warner stepped in and guided the team to a Super Bowl title. The Rams released 10 players on Monday and are down to 79 with four more cuts needed by the Tuesday 3 p.m. deadline. Among those released was wide receiver T.J. Moe, a standout at the University of Missouri. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '
blueberryjerry
Aficionado
Aficionado

Torna a Benvenuto in MegaLab.it